Best Shower Chairs and Shower Benches for 2017
This blog is about the review of different types of shower chairs, benches and seats, their uses, how to purchase the ideal one and how to use them effectively. Shower benches are necessary for many reasons, they help elderly and individuals with disability to assist themselves in the shower with little or no help from a caregiver. They come in diverse colors, they are crack-proof, water- and tarnish-resistant.
Below you will find a detailed review of the best shower transfer benches, shower benches, bath and shower chairs. You might be interested, what’s the difference between them? Actually, there is a difference.
Transfer bench is a showering bench that helps handicapped people to get into a bathtub. Typical transfer bench consists of one armrest, backrest, wide seat and four legs, two of which stay outside.
Shower chairs are lightweight stools that have two armrests and a backrest. They are a great find for people with limited mobility. Unlike them shower benches do not provide any back and arm support, they are quite simple in their design.
II. Top 7 Best Transfer Shower Benches Reviews
1. Snap-n-Save Sliding Tub-Mount Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat & Back Review
2. Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat Review
3. New Eagle 37662 Swivel Seat Sliding Bath Transfer Bench Review
4. Moen DN7105 Home Care Transfer Bench Review
5. Drive Medical Plastic Transfer Bench Review
6. Duro-Med Heavy-Duty Sliding Transfer Bench Shower Chair Review
7. MedMobile Bathtub Transfer Bench ReviewIII. Top 4 Best Shower Chairs and Shower Benches Reviews1. Shower Chair with Back by Vive Review
2. NOVA Medical Products Deluxe Bath Seat with Back & Arms Review
3. Healthline Trading Lightweight Bath Bench with Back Adjustable Review
7. EZ2Care Adjustable Lightweight Shower Bench ReviewIV. Most Popular Types of Shower Stools
V. How to Choose the Best BathTub Seat?
VI. Bathroom Safety Tips and Recommendations for Seniors & the Handicapped
3 Best Transfer Shower Benches for Elderly, Disabled and Babies
[best for babies]
[for disabled, editor's choice]
[best for elderly]
Top 7 Best Transfer Shower Benches Reviews
This medical shower chair is suitable for babies because it snugly holds them in place when being bathed. The bench is light and very comfortable to use. The shower bench seat is padded and has a light construction of aluminum and plastic.
The product also comes with a height adjustment system as well as a rotating seat. Therefore the user can move at different angles while seating.
With its compact form, this chair can be stored easily, while its rubber-covered feet makes it movable.
This is one of the best options for individuals who need just more than a bathroom bench. The seat comes with a robust construction of stainless steel frame. This model allows its user to achieve an optimal position by adjusting the height or rotate the seat at different angles.
This shower chair with back can support more than 300 pounds of weight. Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench is most suitable for obese individuals, and its swivel design means you can rotate the seat while in the shower at different angles.
The seat also comes with lots of anti-slip materials, for extra safety and comfort. The seat is one of the best-rated medical grade shower seats.
This is a bathroom bench you definitely want to get because of its extra comfortability. This is a medical grade bath bench that is made of stainless steel body frame and provides extra reliability and comfort.
The shower chair also comes with a premium chrome finish alongside a rotating seat that is padded and has a secured belt. This medical chair comes with a plastic covered feet for extra stability.
Despite all the extra features on this sliding shower chair, it maintains a lightweight structure and can be moved around easily. This seat is quite costlier than other models in the brand.
This bathroom bench is stronger than your average standard seat and it’s adjusted to suit your height and weight while in the bath.
The seat is anti-corrosive and water resistant, thus you can be rest assured that you are using one of the best standard shower seats around.
This bench is fairly priced, considering the fact it is not one of those high end medical-grade seats in the market. It can be used by disabled patients in some cases.
This bathroom bench is one of the most suitable shower chairs for elderly. It offers great comfort and stability. This model also comes with armrest and adjustable legs, thus it can work as a handicap shower seat.
Aside from being a shower seat, it can also be used in transporting the user in and out of the shower. There is a special texture used in the making of the 3 multi-level backrest and seat and that prevents slipping. The entire frame is made of lightweight materials for easy movement and storage.
Drive Medical adjustable bath and shower transfer bench is one of the most comfortable and most reliable transfer benches you can find in the market.
6. Duro-Med Heavy-Duty Sliding Transfer Bench Shower Chair with Cut-out Seat and Adjustable Legs Review
This bathtub seat is a sliding shower chair that is ideal for those who require some extra assistance when in the bathtub. The simple design of the bathtub chair, especially the curved top, makes it larger than a stool. The curved surface also ensures that it is non-slippery.
This model also comes with an adjustable leg, alongside an aluminum frame that makes it lightweight. There are anti-slip covers on the feet for additional security to the seat even when placed on slippery surfaces.
This seat can support weights of up to 300 pounds, thus it is ideal for overweight individuals.
This is an excellent shower bench that comes with a wider top. The lightweight bench is adjustable at the same time. The frame has aluminum construction, and the rubberized seat prevents slipping accidents.
This model is resistant to corrosion and also comes with an adjustable height. The feet has some plastic covers that ensures that the seat does not slip, while the foldable structure makes it easier to store.
This is one of the best portable high-end shower stools around but it is not the most expensive. It is an excellent bargain for its competitive price.
Top 4 Best Shower Chairs and Shower Benches Reviews
The bathroom chair comes with an handicap shower seat, two armrests that has a non-slip cover alongside a small backrest. It remains one of the best shower chairs for elderly. The frame of this chair comprises of aluminum structure, thus it is lightweight and it is resistant to corrosion.
The chair is also resistance to water and can sit perfectly in an average or medium size bath. Though, this chair has no foldable design, but it stores relatively well. Small size also makes it very comfortable and secure.
A medical shower chair that remains one of the most competitively priced models around. It is made with a padded seat along with a backrest while the armrest is also padded and covered to ensure there is no chance for slipping.
The entire frame is made of lightweight aluminum materials and the feet has plastic caps to ensure that it does not move around.
Despite its lightweight structure, this shower chair still has a sturdy frame that makes it more durable than any other shower seats you can find around. Its quality makes it one of the best and one of the most recommendable shower seats in the world today.
The sturdy construction allows the chair to support a user with up to 250 pounds of body weight. The chair comes with a 12.5 inch diameter. The shower chair with back has a seat padded with a soft and non-slippery material.
The legs have rubber tips that ensure that the seat does not move around or slip when in use inside the bath.
Like many other models of this brand, this seat comes with an adjustable height, while its lightweight construction materials makes it easy to store and positioned anywhere in the bath.
It is designed to move and store relatively easily, and the combination of lightweight aluminum frame with a curved seat makes the shower stool more comfortable than the rest. This stool is ideal for babies and toddlers, it is corrosion resistant and can support weights of up to 250 pounds.
With its compact design, this seat can be used virtually in any type of shower. EZ2Care comes with rubber-covered legs that ensure that the seat does not slip out of its position.
Importance of Choosing the Best Shower Chair
Choosing the right shower seats is of tremendous importance because it will help to support your body without causing new injuries or aggravating any existing injury in your body. Choosing the right shower chair also ensures that you have access to a versatile chair, made from lightweight materials that will support your frame and weight. It is also important that you choose the right shower chair that is weatherproofed, sturdy and durable.
Most Popular Types of Shower Stools
There are different kinds of shower stools, the most popular among them are:
- Standard shower chair or bench. Standard shower chair or bench is the most popular shower chair around, and it meets all the basic requirements you can ever ask for.
- Commode or cut-out shower seat.
- Bath-tub lift mobile shower chair.
- Corner shower wheel chair stools.
- Adjustable shower and bath stools. Adjustable shower and bath stools can be adjusted for different heights and weights to suit the needs of the user.
- Wall-mounted bath board.
- Sliding transfer shower bench. Sliding transfer shower bench can help to save more space because it can slide in and out of the bathroom cabinet.
- Padded shower seats and stools. Padded shower seats and stools come with extra cushion that provides extra comfort for those with fragile body frames.
- Bariatric round bath stool. Bariatric round bath stool has a round design with no edges, thus gives extra comfort for the user.
- Folding shower seat. Folding shower chair is quite portable and does not occupy much space, and perfect for those using smaller baths.
Best Shower Seats Brands
There are different brands of shower chairs available today, and it all depends on your situation and budget. Among the most popular and recognized shower chair brands are Drive Medical, Nova, and MedMobile.
How to Choose the Best BathTub Seat?
There are several factors you must consider when contemplating what type of shower benches you need. The most important factor is your medical condition or situation – you want a chair that will not aggravate your injuries or conditions, and you want something that you can rely on whenever you need it.
If you are pregnant or a nursing mother, you want to consider the health and stature of your baby when choosing a baby shower chair. As a mother, you don’t want a shower chair that slides or have sharp edges that can hurt your baby.
Secondly, you need to ask the following questions when considering shower benches:
Who will use a shower chair?
Will the chair be used by the elderly? Obese? Baby or disabled person? If the shower chair will be used by the elderly or disabled person, then you need to consider a shower chair with arms. The medical shower bench, for instance, is different from the standard shower bench. It must meet certain specifications such as 0% sliding accidents.
If the chair is to be used by a baby, then a round padded shower chair is needed for extra comfort for both the baby and the mother.
Where will a shower bench be used?
A bath chair is definitely used mostly in the bathroom. You need to have a measurement of bath, in terms of length and width. Likewise, you need to consider other accessories in the bath (including the cabinets, tubs, sinks) before you can create the appropriate space for the chair.
Will the shower chair remain in a stationary position or will there be a need to move it around?
If the shower chair will be moved from one place to another, then the best options is to choose chairs that have rolling wheels and those that are adjustable. The corner shower wheel chair, the adjustable shower chairs and stools, and bath-tub lift mobile shower chair are movable options. If you need a stationary shower chair, then you can go for the foldable wall mounted and cut-out shower seats and stools.
How much space do you have in your bath and will the shower chair fit in?
Generally, you should follow this simple rule; the smaller your bath, the smaller the shower chair or stool you must buy.
Does best shower chairs comes pre-assembled or will you have to assemble it by yourself?
If you don’t know how to assemble a chair, you may have to buy the pre-assembled one or spend extra money to get the retail staff to assemble the chair in your bathroom. In most cases, shower chairs do come with easy-to-read manual for assembling.
What is your budget for a shower chair? Do you want a high-end top branded or a low to medium level shower chair?
When it comes to budget, baby shower chairs normally fall under the $50 range. Most standard shower chairs, including wall mounted units can be found within the $50-100 range. Customized medical chairs are the most expensive and can be found above $200.
Bathroom Safety Tips and Recommendations for Seniors & the Handicapped
Despite the comfort and stylish design, the bathroom is always a high-risk area for the elderly and people with limited mobility. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the likelihood of injuries in the bathroom increases with age. Above 80% of all traumas are due to falls. Slippery surfaces, high humidity and other factors require special attention to safety. We advise you to take the following tips seriously for your own health and well-being.
- Place a mat on the floor in wet areas and use non slip strips. Such tapes are safe, they are of high strength and durability. Also, they are easily cleaned with household detergents and comfortable for bare feet.
- Install handicap grab bars and special safety handrails in the bathtub. Sometimes there is a slight weakness after a hot shower or bath. So you need to lean on something to coordinate movements.
- Buy the best handheld shower head. This device allows you to select the optimal water supply and turns the bathing into enjoyment. Good shower curtain is indispensable as well, unless you want to flood the bathroom with water.
- Invest in the shower base. The perfect handicap shower base does not have side walls. The matte surface with anti-slip coating provides stability and reliability during water procedures. The shower with such a base becomes much safer and gives an opportunity to act independently.
- Use raised toilet seat – a universal device with handrails and armrests. It adds extra height, facilitating a comfortable sitting down or standing up from the toilet.
- Finally, consider buying a walk in shower or walk in bathtub. This is a great investment if you have adequate financial resources.